Though Pioneer Electric Cooperative, Inc., is a de-regulated electric utility, we agree to participate in the special disconnect procedures for residential customers during the time period November 1 through March 31. The guidelines set out below have been established to protect not only you, the electric member, but your member-owned cooperative.
No residential electric service disconnections will be made when the Dodge City National Weather Service forecasts that the temperature will drop below 35 degrees or will be in the mid-30’s or colder within the following 48-hour time period. In order to avoid disconnection when the temperature is 35 degrees or above, or to reconnect service regardless of the temperature, the residential customer must comply with these provisions:
- Inform Pioneer Electric of the inability to pay the bill in full;
- Provide sufficient information to allow Pioneer Electric to create a payment agreement;
- Make an initial payment of the arrearage plus the bill for the most recent month’s billing period for which service was provided, divided by 12, plus the full amount of any disconnect or reconnect fees, plus any applicable deposit, and enter into a payment plan for the rest of the arrearage. (The customer may enter into a pay agreement of less than 12 months.)
- Apply for federal, state, local or other assistance funds for which the customer is eligible; and
- In the event the customer fails to meet his/her payment plan, the customer must cure the default to remain in the payment plan. Contact Pioneer Electric’s billing department for details at 620-356-1211 or 800-794-9302 as soon as possible.
Pioneer Electric shall:
- Inform the residential customer of agencies having funds available to assist with payment of utility bills;
- Make telephone or personal contact with customer 24 hours prior to termination of service.
- Provide the customer with the telephone number of the Consumer Protection Office of the Kansas Corporation Commission;
- Inform the customer of the third-party notification plan and any payment arrangements the customer may qualify for.
For additional assistance involving the Cold Weather Rule, you may contact:
- Pioneer Electric’s billing department at 620-356-1211 or 800-794-9302 during normal business hours 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday–Friday (except holidays).
The Kansas Corporation Commission’s Consumer Protection Office at 800-662-0027.